GROWING WELLBEING COURSES
WHAT IS IT?
It's a 6-16 week programme
In a nutshell
Sustainable Wellbeing is a free 6 to 16 week follow-on course from Growing Wellbeing. It aims to help participants embed learnings from their first MindFood course into everyday life. It builds on personal experience and aspirations to identify meaningful goals, introduce healthier habits, and achieve sustainable wellbeing.
Participants of Growing Wellbeing often feel empowered by the techniques and tips they have learned with us to nurture their wellbeing. But empowerment is just the first step and it can be difficult to know what to do next.
The second step is harder: leading a fulfilling life means different things to different people. This course seeks to guide participants so that they can recover purpose and motivation in a way that feels like a natural progression. It’s about the long game.
Goals are a feature of the working world, and for many they have led to feelings of stress, helplessness and failure in the past. Our challenge is to translate empowerment into a tangible (and measurable) way forward that feels unpressurised.
You can’t make a plant grow…..all you can do is create the right conditions for it to thrive. When a plant flourishes, we do not say it has achieved its goal…we just enjoy it.
Our nature-based approach works in a similar way. It gives participants the tools, time and space to work out what is right for them. This is done through our 5 Ways to Grow framework, which uses gardening and gardening metaphor to guide thinking, discussion, and moving forward.
Who is it for?
This course is for anyone wanting to build their confidence and motivation, and support their on-going recovery by finding an activity, occupation or cause that is rewarding and beneficial to their wellbeing. These may be:
- People who have been signed off work for stress, depression, anxiety
- Those who consider themselves burnt out, or need a change of career
- Long term unemployed, or chronically ill
- Stay-at-home parents or carers planning a return to work
All participants will have completed the Growing Wellbeing
How the course works
Each week a different growing theme is discussed, accompanied by an exercise that builds on this. Participants then carry out a gardening task to boost their skills and confidence, while cementing the growing metaphor.
Over the course of the first 6 weeks, participants will identify meaningful goals and benefit from peer support as they work towards them. They can complete the cycle 3 times (ie 6 weeks, then 5, then 5) if they wish, or simply leave the project when they’ve completed a single round, or as opportunities arise.
- WEMWBS (Warwick-Edinburgh Mental Well-being Scale) at Week 1, 6 (& 16)
- GAS – goal attainment scaling, 1 to 3 goals (health, wellbeing or other personal goals, eg decluttering, finding a new career ), and 1 personal
- SurveyMonkey – exit follow-up, within 4 weeks of departure
- Case Studies
Notes on Evaluation
- WEMWBS is a recognised and respected scale. Linking the scale with Wellbeing goals reinforces a sense of purpose to the exercise to those who have been with the programme a while.
- Introducing SMARTER goals for participants development links well into the NHS/Public Health’s Make Every Contact Count drive to guide healthy choices in even the shortest encounter.
- Goal Attainment Scaling (GAS) is an option that can be used as a means of measuring outcome data from different contexts set out on a 10 point scale. It enables the data to be placed on a quantitative measurement scale, tackling the problem of how to adequately identify and measure qualitative goal impact and attainment.
As ever, signing up is quick and easy - anyone interested simply needs to email email@example.com or call Lucy Clark on 07720 092954 and she will be happy to take you through the registration process.
Click to see MINDFOOD DECEMBER newsletter