What are online health resources?
With the development of the World Wide Web (WWW) more and more people have access to information at their fingertips via a smart phone, a laptop or computer, or a tablet. Young children to the older generation are increasingly relying on internet searches to find information. This is also the case when people are searching for information related to their health and wellbeing. Specific health related websites like NHS Choices or British Heart Foundation are online health resources and are known to be reputable. Search engines like Google or Bing may bring up inaccurate and unfocused information.
Why use online health resources?
People often use online health information to benefit their own health, find out about a health condition, research medication and look for local services. Online health information is often current and more up to date than hard copy information and provides instant access to a wealth of information on virtually any health topic. In Ealing reputable sites are available hosting a wide range of information for local people.
Is the information contained in online health resources reputable?
It is important to use reputable sites that you can trust when researching and using health information found on the internet. Not all information found via the internet can be trusted. Studies in recent years have found that online health information can have a major impact on a persons' health and what actions they might take in relation to their health. These actions may not always have positive outcomes.
Information found on the internet does not replace any information and/or advice given to a person by their GP or other health professional for any health condition they may have.
Using online health resources in Ealing
There are a number of sites available to people living and working in Ealing where reputable online health information and resources can be found:
- Ealing CVS Health pages and Wellbeing for Life pages use information put together from partnership work with Ealing CCG, Ealing Public Health and a number of other highly regarded and trusted sources - some of which are mentioned below. The Ealing CVS Self Help Directory is available to download from the website and is a fantastic source of information and a one stop shop to find groups, services and helplines that can help people manage health conditions and get support. The Ealing Healthy Eating Directory is also available to downlaod and offer numerous links to information and resources.
- CarePlace provides a Directory of Services, Information and Guidance enabling direct access to local care and community services via a search facility with rating for CQC services that are registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The directory contains thousands of useful services in Ealing, London and beyond and gives you direct access to information about care and community services. It also contains a wealth of information and guidance on how to source local services and pay for them. Find out more about CarePlace on ECVS website here
- Ealing Council Health and Adult Social Care provides information and links for Ealing residents to find: Support for Carers; Get Care and Support; Local Welfare Assistance; Mental Health; Health and Wellbeing
- One You Ealing help you kick unhealthy out of your life. The FREE services on offer include NHS Health Checks, Health walks, Health trainers, Stop smoking support, TB awareness, childhood obesity and English for speakers of other languages.
- Healthy Ealing is a website developed by Ealing CCG providing information related to maintaining health and wellbeing. It also includes links to further information, videos, animations and resources: About Ealing CCG; Pharmacy and Minor Ailments; Pain Management and Pain Relief; Carers; Wellbeing and Lifestyle; Mental Health; Memory Loss and Dementia; About Hospital; Tuberculosis (TB); Library of Videos
A guide is available to download which will provide you with an introduction, information and guidance on how to use these online health resources.
A Guide to Online Health Resources in Ealing
Other reputable online health resources
These will often be organisations that might specialise in knowing about a particular health condition and or disability and/or are able to give trustworthy information from reliable sources
Looking for information about treating a specific condition?
NHS Choices has links to help you find treatment and information on specific conditions and information on local services
If you are looking for support locally to make lifestyle changes One You Ealing offers a range of free support, information and resources.
If you are looking for paid support from a qualified Nutritionist, the Nutritionist Resource website ensures that all practitioners registered on the site have relevant qualifications. To find a Nutritionist near you just enter your post code into the search box. Visit their healthy eating pages for more information on the topic, dieting, understanding and having a healthy attitude towards food.
Have a look at how you're doing!
There's an online personal check up you can try here